A delicious Norwegian cake – a fine dessert with vanilla and meringue that conquers from the first!
Also known as Verdens Beste, Kvæfjordkake is a popular cake in Norway made with meringue, vanilla cream and almonds. Despite its appearance, it is quite simple to prepare, being an interesting mixture of fluffy meringue and crunchy almonds. The recipe dates back to the 1930s and has remained the same to this day. It’s perfect to delight loved ones and impress guests at a holiday table.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TOP
-4 egg yolks
-100 g of soft butter (at room temperature)
-100 g of sugar
-100 g of flour
-3 spoons of milk
-2 teaspoons of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
INGREDIENTS FOR MERINGUE
– 4 egg whites
-200 g of sugar
-150 g almond flakes
-300 g of whipped cream
– rum essence (or powdered sugar)
METHOD OF PREPARATION
1. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the topping until you get a homogeneous mass. Use a mixer on medium speed.
2. Arrange the dough in a thin, even layer on a baking tray lined with paper.
3. Prepare the meringue: beat the egg whites with the sugar until you get a foam with stable peaks.
4. Arrange the egg white foam on the counter and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
5. Place the tray in the oven preheated to 180°C for 15-20 minutes. The meringue will rise as it bakes. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool slightly.
6. Whip the cream. Do not mix it too much, so as not to get a too thick cream.
7. Divide the cake in half. Carefully arrange one half of the cake on a platter. Brush it with cream and cover it with the other half.
8. Refrigerate the cake for 2-3 hours.
Our team wishes you bon appetit with your loved ones!
Did you like a recipe? Please write comment on a facebook